Staying Fit as a Family This Summer
The middle of the summer often makes it difficult to stay fit due to the temptation to stay inside out of the heat.
Here are some great fitness activities that will make the summer memorable and bring you closer together as a family:
- Park and Yard Games – Footballs and Frisbees can get you moving if you have access to an open, grassy space. Many neighborhood parks have activities the whole family will enjoy.
- Swimming – If you don’t have an in-ground swimming pool; an above-ground pool can be purchased fairly inexpensively and is a great way to stay cool and fit in a little exercise. A lake is also a great place to picnic and swim.
- Hiking – It’s likely that you have some hiking trails near your home. Hiking can be a great workout and can be educational by pointing out certain plants, insects and birds you can enjoy.
- Family Team Sports – Putting up a basketball or volleyball net can add fun to your family summer. If you have a large family, it’s especially nice to have a good, old-fashioned “It’s ON” game. Don’t forget to help out the younger ones and help them interact.
- Bicycling – This is a sport the entire family can enjoy while getting the best exercise. If you have smaller children or babies, there are carriers available for the bicycles. Search for some bicycle trails in your area – and don’t forget to wear a helmet.
- Water Games – You don’t have to have a swimming pool to get wet and cool and enjoy a summer day. A simple sprinkler will do – or take it a step further and purchase one of the inexpensive water ‘toys’ to play with.
- Plant a Garden – The entire family can participate in tending a garden. Even the youngest children can help with watering, weeding, and harvesting.
You don’t have to venture far from home to experience summer fitness and fun. A little research and some imagination and creativeness on your part will ensure that everyone has a great summer without becoming a couch potato.
What are your favorite summer activities that will keep the whole family active?